|Marshall House is named for George C. Marshall, who commanded the fort in the 1930’s. General Marshall served as an American military leader, Secretary of State, and the third Secretary of Defense. Once dubbed the “organizer of victory” by Winston Churchill for his leadership of the Allied victory in World War II, Marshall later became instrumental in the post-war reconstruction effort in Europe, which became known as the Marshall Plan. For this latter role Marshall received the Nobel Peace Prize, the only American professional soldier to hold that distinction.
Children put on an impromptu parade in front of the house.